Obsessively ranking, knowing better, and talking turkey in miraculously spangled garb.

Shaking leaves of streamers from the liber-tree

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Best cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, ranked.


1. Chubby's Identical to the set on "Boy Meets World," except for the downstairs teenage dream hangout.
2.      Tony Luke’s  Tony Luke’s keeps it bona fide. I like my cheesesteaks served in a modest take-away under the shadow of the interstate.
3.      Dattilo’s  Dattilo’s is an authentic Italian-American deli that happens to serve up a tasty steak. It’s the Super Mario of cheesesteaks: above average in all its moves.
4.      Grey Lodge Pub  This place is one of Northeast Philadelphia’s premiere attractions. A terrific steak, and a phenomenal beer list. Tap it. Best Chicken Cheesesteak I’ve ever had, incidentally.
5.      Chink’s  Yes, Samuel “Chink” Sherman’s nickname is likely the result of the racism of his day. I can’t condone it. But I can condone the timewarped trip on which this shop sends me, meat in mouth.
6.      Pat’s  Hard to evaluate a Pat’s cheesesteak with judicial clarity. When real Philadelphians eat there, it is always at 3AM after closing down a bar. Tastes really fine during a fever dream.
7.      Steve’s Prince of Steaks  I wish it was called Steve’s “Prince” of Steaks
8.      Dalessandro’s  I feel like I’m cheating on Chubby’s when I steak here, but it’s a good change of pace.
9.      Station Pizza  Value-priced, solid cheesesteak. Plunk down $3.50 and hope to evade the salmonella.
10.  Geno’s  Geno’s is a little much. Too glitzy, too expensive, too proud of itself. Still, they manage a satisfying steak despite the tourist trappiness.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, i need to get me some bonafide cheesesteak. in LA, they have a truck that's a rolling cheesesteak restaurant (i know, i know... it's LA, so how good can it be?) that parks outside bars and serves a decent sandwich.

    the cool part is, you never know where it's going to be. like that mysterious disappearing irish cloud city (note: is that a thing? I think it's a thing).

    ReplyDelete